Friday, April 16, 2010

What Next?

The story, in my case, started the moment I took shape in my mother’s womb. Although I had sufficient access to food, the space was constricting. All attempts to escape the environment – throwing about my limbs – ended in despair. Not just that, the inhabitants of the free-world rebuked my attempts by terming them “cute”, “sweet”, “tender” etc. I felt helpless. It was then that I framed a sub-conscious objective - to wiggle out of the womb, to find that place where space would never be a constraint. Objective achieved; time taken - 9 months.

It was then payback time for all those people responsible for making me feel helpless in my previous abode. I forced them to feed me, to clothe me, to clean my debris, to make squeaking buffoon-like sounds for my entertainment and to participate in numerous activities that they normally wouldn’t. I had an awesome time. Payback meted out; time taken – 2 years and 3 months.

At the fag-end of the payback period, people started to see through my deliberate ploy. I was no longer cuddled whenever I forced tears out of myself. I could no longer get people to do crazy things for my 1000-watt smile. I was thrashed around if I “debried” all over the place. Worst of all, I was thrown into a school – gotten rid of by the same people who couldn’t let go of me for even a minute (When I was awake, i.e.). I had to adapt to the new environment and find a new method to get things done for myself. The existence of a sibling meant that I needed no rocket-science to figure out what I had to do – score marks (cross the 90% barrier). The objective was achieved on and off. My scores ranged from 50% to 99%. Things were amazing when I crossed the barrier, and brutal when I didn’t. The journey consumed 10 years of my life.

When I entered my 10th grade, I caught a new buzzword doing the rounds – IIT JEE – and held on to it. By using the buzzword, I had risen above the task of scoring marks in the examinations (the people around me no longer cared). I could use the phrase “I’m preparing for the IITs,” to get things done for me. I then dreamt of what I could get done for myself if I could use the phrase “I’m an IITan” - objective framed; achieved in 3 years; preferential treatment lasted another 4 years.

During my first job at L&T, a harsh reality struck me. I could no longer command the preferential treatment from my colleagues and bosses. It was déjà vu – the same sub-conscious/conscious feeling was haunting me yet again. A week of observation yielded a mission – be a part of the management! Objective – get into a top B-school; achieved in 2 years; preferential treatment lasted another 2 years.

The last one year (after the previous phase) has been a year of extreme introspection. I’ve come to realize that being a part of the management wasn’t as rosy as it seemed to me. In fact, there has always been a stark contrast between what I expected and what I experienced once an objective was achieved. I expected the world to be freer once I got out of my mother’s womb. I expected people to give me undue attention forever, when I was a baby. I expected things would get easier if I crossed the revered 90% barrier, only to realize that a 50% score was surreally looming around. I expected a king-size life once I cleared the IIT-JEE. Finally, I expected to be someone everybody would look-up-to, once I became a part of the management. I was always disappointed. This disappointment made the question – “What next?” – run amok in my mind. One disappointment led to another disappointment and that to another. Damn the vicious cycle.

Today, I take an oath that I should’ve taken the moment I was born – “I shall strive to find happiness in the present.” It’s time to undo the 25-year-damage I’ve done to myself. Wish me!

13 comments:

tina said...

Wish u Luck! Tati Hati!! U will do good for yourself...just chill and focus :)

Best Wishes!

Butterfly said...

U and Foonsookh Wangdoo! Wt though provoking ppl 2 of u!:)

Gd luck! I'll try and adapt this one too!

Divya Khanna said...

its better late than never!! Way to go!!

chango said...

take it easy mate....njoi!

Don Quixote said...

Hindsight: 20/20 :) nicely written though!

Isha said...

Nice to see you back....nice post...loved the beginning of the post :)

Unknown said...

its a simple thing ...but most of times v realise it when the time is gone

Unknown said...

its a simple thing ...but most of times v realise it when the time is gone

Anonymous said...

What did u drink before writing this?

Stunner said...

Nice dude....I think you should think about a PHD.

Achieved in 5 years; preferential treatment will last the entire your life :)

Anonymous said...

nicely written.your expressions are good.very natural feelings written as a chain of events.you are not always disappointed.your iitr...iift etc etc.are achievements.It is not like that... I want to become prime minister of India..i didnt. I want to marry ash but abhishek married her...life is not like that..Have an introspect always. It keeps you in the right place.If you want to become Pm atleast u should be a karya kartha.If you want to get the attention of ash u should be atleast her neighbour.when these parametres are not there you cant say i am always disappointed.Out of 100 requisites if you have 80%
then u can say I am disappointed.When yo have below 80%you are not in the chase.you are like any ordinary person.an ordinary, average or good person is not an achiever.If you are an outstanding person putting all your potentiality into what u want that will make u an achiever.as many think after all there is no short cut to success! 100%focus, hardwork,determination,follow up,patience, executing pre determined plans,time management..etc are directly proportional to success.good luck...mummy.

PM-HRD said...

Good writing Sarang...very fresh and different...u don't sound like one of those IItians out der...u r different...must say

Anonymous said...

Dear Sarang, How differently will we live, if we believed in a perfect God, who is making a beautiful picture, with no mistakes but with exact precision as He wanted it to be.

You are fearfully and wonderfully made. He has plans for you, plans of hope, plans to prosper you! Keep believing. Hebrews 11:6.